Training and Adult Community Education
SkillWise is committed to supporting people in training and education to increase knowledge, gain new skills, increase community involvement or find employment. There are a number of ways in which we do this including connecting people with existing courses as well as a range of in-house options. This includes our Training and Adult Community Education programme which is supported with Adult Community Education funding.
Training and Adult Community Education is a personal development programme that provides a framework of activities designed to develop personal, social and work-related skills and promote independence and social inclusion. Towards Independence covers six key areas:
- Creative Studies - this includes modules such as Performing Arts, Pottery & Ceramics and Photography & Multimedia.
- Cultural - this includes modules such as Current Affairs, Popular Culture, The World Around Us and Environment.
- Independent Living Skills - this includes modules such as Meal Preparation, Money, Using Transport, and Working Towards Self Sufficiency.
- Leisure/Recreation/Sport - this includes modules such as Sports Studies, Water Skills and Animal Care.
- Personal Development/Citizenship - this includes modules such as Knowing About Myself, Coping with People, Relationships, Self Advocacy and Out in the Community.
- Work Related - this includes modules such as Vocational Training/Experience, Horticulture, Moving on From School, World of Work and Work Awareness.
Other training and education Organisations we work with:
- Hagley Community College
- Literacy Christchurch
- Ara Polytechnic
- Open Polytechnic